November 13, 2006

I denounce this linguistic development.

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at November 13, 2006 10:06 AM

Something that annoys me to an irrational extent is the use of diminutives on certain words that I've been seeing recently. The latest, but by no means only, offender is Cory Doctorow, who recently wrote,

The forthcoming Logitech Alto laptop stand is a nice compromise between a dock and just plunking your lappie down on your desk.

and in a different post:
[Alibi Networks will] also buy and ship prezzies for your lover, provide untraceable phone numbers and manage the rest of your sneaky double-life.

"Lappie"? "Prezzies"? What's with the baby talk? Depressingly, this isn't the first time I've seen either of these two words in blog posts that are ostensibly aimed at adults. Who decided it was a good idea to infantilize words like "laptop" and "presents" in otherwise serious writing, and why on earth is it catching on? I suppose it's an attempt to be twee, but to me it just seems jarring and condescending. Knock it off!

Tags: Culture
Comments

I couldn't agree more. It is stupid and annoying.

I would send them an outraged email if I had their email addies.

Posted by: JSpur | November 13, 2006 1:34 PM

My pet peeve? "Preggers". God, do I hate "preggers". Every time someone says "preggers", I want to punch that someone in their unborn fetus. Bitch doesn't deserve to procreate with that kind of language murder.

Posted by: Josh | November 13, 2006 1:44 PM

Whatevs!, me lovie me lappie!

Posted by: Anonymous | November 13, 2006 2:23 PM

Josh: I know someone (Randy) who used "preggers" and "knocked up" exclusively when his wife was pregnant. Of course, the only reason he did so was to intentionally sound like an idiot. Is it any wonder we get along so well?

Posted by: Lemming | November 13, 2006 2:23 PM

Intentional idiocy is truly a valid excuse for any behavior.

Posted by: Josh | November 13, 2006 2:48 PM

What's this Twee word, anyways? Short for Tweed? Doesn't seem quite right. Otherwise, I agree with the Gazebo/Josh here. It's just silly! We'll have none of that!

-Z

Posted by: Zifnab | November 13, 2006 3:36 PM

I'd guess "twee" might be short for "teensy-weensy", but I told AG I'd stop posting about my wang.

Posted by: Lemming | November 13, 2006 4:04 PM

Josh: "Preggers" has never bothered me, but I've never heard someone use it seriously, either. (I mostly just see it on Overheard in New York.)

Zifnab: Twee is British slang meaning overly cute and saccharine. I suppose the word sounds baby-talkish itself, which undercuts my point a bit.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | November 13, 2006 4:10 PM

This is even too cutesy for me--and I refer to my car and computers by cutesy shortenings of their names. I don't think I've heard "preggers" spoken in person either, nor "lappie."

And honestly, if I heard someone use "lappie," I'd ask whether the person was referring to a lapdance.

Posted by: Jolene | November 13, 2006 5:30 PM

First of all, I hereby declare that lapdances should forever be called "lappies" because, damnit, that just works!

More seriously, I have always hated baby talk. It drives me nuts and it increases my desire to not be around babies because the way other people like to talk to them annoys me to no end. Talk like normal human beings, you fruitcakes!

So, on that note, I'm going to go finish up my paper on "moddies," by which I mean "modulational instabilities." (Though I guess it could also refer to specific types of plastic surgery...)

Posted by: Mason | November 13, 2006 8:43 PM

I just realized that I have been guilty, on occasion, of using the term "proggy". Dammit!

Fwiw, I've only used when the fact that it's a particularly small program was relevant, but still, I hang my head in shame.

*shuffles off*