November 27, 2006

Lessons learned in Dallas

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at November 27, 2006 4:47 PM

I've returned from Thanksgiving in Dallas, where I did the typical turkey-and-family thing. It was not especially eventful, although I did learn a few things:

• The weather in Dallas in late November is actually really good. It was warm and sunny, while Berkeley is now entering its rainy season.
  • I have a friend who claims Dallas is too far north for good tex-mex food. He is crazy (or at least poorly informed).
  • I am an awful pool player. This isn't too surprising given that I basically haven't played in like eight years. I'm finding the game more appealing than I used to, but since none of my local friends play it's unlikely that I'll be getting better at it anytime soon.
  • The only downside to a second viewing of Casino Royale is having to see the same trailers for mostly unappealing movies again.
  • "And that's why you don't use a one-armed man to teach people lessons!"

Readers are encouraged to share their own findings from the weekend.

Tags: Life, Travel
Comments

Finding: "Horny Elf with Big Rock" is indeed a Very Impressive Title.

Posted by: Justin | November 27, 2006 6:21 PM

Finding (slightly correlated with Justin's): On occasion, games of Munchkin can last almost as long (a little bit longer?) than games of Arkham Horror.

AG: Please explain the quote. Also, while my pool skills are nowehere near what they used to be, I'll show you a thing or two when you're in town. (I still know what I'm doing, and when I play pool for an hour, I typically get a lot back by the time the hour is over, so if I can ever get myself to play regularly again, I don't think it would take me too long to reach my peak level again. This happened with ping pong, after all.) I'm always looking for somebody with whom to play pool.

After for those of you who didn't overlap with me as an undergrad, I actually used to be really good at pool.

Posted by: Mason | November 27, 2006 9:01 PM

Oh, one more lesson: Agreeing to 'open borders' agreements with one's neighboring civilization for the purpose of making a unit become unstuck is an extremely bad idea.

Posted by: Mason | November 27, 2006 9:03 PM

Mason: Perhaps I can explain the quote without my own words, but with video:

Posted by: Josh | November 27, 2006 11:13 PM

At the very least, our max time for Munchkin is well over our min time for Arkham Horror.

You know how the Munchkin endgame usually turns into a "drawn out" 5 minutes, maybe as much as 10, of people screwing each other out of that last level? Now just imagine people always having just the right cards to keep that up for an hour.

Joe & I coulda cleared a couple more chapters of Gears in that time!

Posted by: Lemming | November 28, 2006 11:02 AM

Finding: my parents' oven is unusually small and can't properly accommodate a standard roasting pan.

Was this epic Munchkin game played using a lot of expansions, or was it just wacky luck? I've heard of neverending games but have yet to experience one, but it's been a while since I've played Munchkin.

Posted by: Jolene | November 28, 2006 11:23 AM

I don't have any expansions, it was just the basic game. The fact that we were getting really tired didn't help - Joe pointed out a potentially winning move I missed (which happened to be the same move I'd tried and failed on my previous turn - d'oh!) at one point.

Once the Kneepads of Allure come out, it's all over, though.

Posted by: Justin | November 28, 2006 12:21 PM

Oh man, the Kneepads of Allure. Nerf!

Posted by: Jolene | November 28, 2006 1:02 PM

Bloody kneepads and damn elves. (Hell, if I had chosen to become an elf back when I didn't think it would matter---which was before Tim and Joe started watching, by the way---that would have set up the possibility for a three-way tie.)

Posted by: Mason | November 28, 2006 5:05 PM