November 30, 2006

Publication: Solid-State Qubits with Current-Controlled Coupling

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at November 30, 2006 2:29 PM

As some of you know, we recently had a paper accepted to Science. The paper appears in the latest issue, and is now available online.

I will try to post something in the next few days that explains these results for the non-physicists in the audience. In the meantime, there's this post from March about these experiments (from before we had the major findings), and here's the abstract:

Solid-State Qubits with Current-Controlled Coupling

T. Hime, P. A. Reichardt, B. L. T. Plourde, T. L. Robertson, C.-E. Wu, A. V. Ustinov, John Clarke

The ability to switch the coupling between quantum bits (qubits) on and off is essential for implementing many quantum-computing algorithms. We demonstrated such control with two flux qubits coupled together through their mutual inductances and through the dc superconducting quantum interference device (SQUID) that reads out their magnetic flux states. A bias current applied to the SQUID in the zero-voltage state induced a change in the dynamic inductance, reducing the coupling energy controllably to zero and reversing its sign.

Tags: Lab, Physics, Publications, Quantum Information, Science
Comments

Once again, congratulations! This is awesome!

With a first-authored publication in Science, an invited presentation at the March Meeting, and (presumably) an awesome recommendation letter from your thesis advisor, you should easily be able to get a great postdoc on the short list of top places (if that's what you want). Why don't you come to Oxford? I'm going to need to start a new D & D group...

By the way, you owe me a certain letter so I can return the book you borrowed to Nai-Chang. (Of course, when we went back to Jorian's that night, I couldn't figure out where the book went, so now I need to remember to find it when I'm over there. I keep forgetting every time I'm there. I'd like to return the book, but I wonder if it's destined not to be returned or something. Ugh, I need to get this done.

Yesterday, I finished a 0th draft of a paper my collaborators and I are planning to submit to Nature. Let's see if we can get this to work...

Posted by: Mason | November 30, 2006 2:58 PM

congrats.

I hate your polotics, but you work hard, and that is admirable.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 30, 2006 4:45 PM

Congratulations!
As someone who spent a good chunk of time reading application folders today, I can tell you that first-author Science papers are pretty darn rare in physics. Good work.

Posted by: Chad Orzel | November 30, 2006 5:46 PM

Congratulations!

I'm jealous, of course.

Posted by: wren | November 30, 2006 8:54 PM

Congrats! I eagerly await the not-quite-so-technical version :)

Mason: Didn't you take the book with you so you'd not forget it? That's what i'm faintly remembering, could be wrong of course. :)

Posted by: Zifnab | December 1, 2006 12:42 AM

I put it the book a bag (right before we left for dinner) in order to do that and then couldn't remember where in your place I left the bag. (I couldn't find it in a few minutes of looking, so I decided I'd pick it up later.) Don't ask me how I managed to accomplish this.

AG: Don't forget to mention Angelina and Brad by name in your March Meeting talk!

Posted by: Mason | December 1, 2006 1:30 AM

Big congrats! Um, I tried to read the abstract but...yeah, I'll wait for Qubits for Dummies(tm) to come out.

Posted by: Jolene | December 1, 2006 11:47 AM

Once again, congratulations. You rock, dude.

Your grandmother reports: "Paul read it and said it was pretty hard for him to understand...."

Your father had enough sense not to even try.

Posted by: JSpur | December 1, 2006 11:51 AM

Congrats! Does this mean you're looking to get out this May?

I also get to congratulate myself, since I actually understood the abstract (no longer have access to the full text). I see why Science was interested in this work. Way to pick a project that has sexy science.

Posted by: Jenny | December 1, 2006 12:53 PM

Congrats

Posted by: shellock | December 1, 2006 2:07 PM

Thanks everybody!

Jenny: It looks like I'll be finishing in December 07, since my qualifying exam has been put off (again) until after the March Meeting.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | December 1, 2006 3:52 PM

Way to go! This is very impressive!!
I look forward to reading the layperson's version of the abstract...and I think the person who came up with the acronym SQUID and the term qubit was quite qlever.

Posted by: Susan | December 1, 2006 6:44 PM

Benjamin Schumacher invented the term qubit, which David Mermin argues should instead be q-bit. (He likes the parallel with "c-number," which is a term I absolutely despise.)

Posted by: Mason | December 2, 2006 1:21 AM