January 7, 2007

Caltech basketball breaks with tradition

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at January 7, 2007 10:16 PM

And in another Caltech link from Steinn, the basketball team breaks their 207-game streak.

Tags: Caltech, Sports
Comments

This is awesome news. And to think, I just got back from dinner with a couple of friends whose son plays sports for Claremont McKenna College and has seen firsthand how lousy Tech athletic teams can be.

Posted by: Jolene | January 7, 2007 10:30 PM

"Bard College"?

Posted by: Josh | January 8, 2007 12:19 AM

This story was also linked on the front page of CNN.com at one point today, for that's where I saw it. Good job guys! Not that I know any of the people on our basketball team this year. I was about to say I'm not sure I ever did, but then it occurs to me that one memorable Lloydie definately played basketball. So i'll be quiet now and let yall figure out who it was I am remembering.

-Z

Posted by: Zifnab | January 8, 2007 4:51 AM

Here's what I remember about Bard College, from a college trip visit with one of my children some years ago: It's a good school in upstate NY, small, with a special program for high school students who want to come to college a couple years early (Simon's Rock at Bard) and it has a beautiful campus (lots of trees etc.) The one thing I remember very clearly about the campus is that they try, when building new buildings on campus, to make each new building a completely different style from all the other buildings that are already there. It makes for a rather eclectic look... Oh, and the small town it is in had an absolutely wonderful used bookstore and some interesting restaurants.
I don't remember anything about their basketball team.

Posted by: lidarose | January 8, 2007 7:17 AM

Hmmm... the article was off by 100 in their estimate of the size of our undergraduate student body.

I remember when we won that last game in 1996. We made ESPN, and the newspaper articles had some great quotes.

I guess Caltech's next win may come the next time I have a current affiliation with the school?

Bard College is a well-known liberal arts school. As far as I can tell, they're in the middle of nowhere to such an extent that they make Ithaca seem like it's in the center of civilzation. I had an on-campus interview invite to Bard a couple years ago, but I declined it once I had my Davis interview in part for middle of nowhere reasons and in part because I would have been the first new hire to the department in about 10 years (the department has 4 faculty at one time) and I decided that new blood in a department I'd prefer to be in needs new blood a lot more frequently than that. (I would like to visit because a lot of the things they do there academically sounded really cool, but there were a couple serious negatives for me as far as permanent positions go.)

The city they're in is called Annandale-on-Hudson or something like that.

Posted by: Mason | January 8, 2007 9:35 AM

J: What's this about lousy athletic teams? I seem to remember us doing quite well, placing well in the West Coast Regionals (usually) and even sending the occasional athlete to the nationals...

Z: Gee, besides Ryoga (who wasn't on the team very long), could you be talking about someone who did something with someone else right outside your door?

M: Clearly, your turning down the interview had a crushing, long-term effect on the schools morale.

Posted by: Lemming | January 8, 2007 10:01 AM

Lemming: In that case, I should have been using these scheme to bet on sports games... (I did have a couple interviews at Div-IA schools a couple years ago.)

Posted by: Mason | January 8, 2007 8:23 PM

Lemming: In that case, I should have been using this scheme to bet on sports games... (I did have a couple interviews at Div-IA schools a couple years ago.)

Posted by: Mason | January 8, 2007 8:23 PM