February 1, 2007

4th Blog Anniversary

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at February 1, 2007 2:20 PM

While posting frequency is at a historical low, as of today this blog has reached the four-year mark. Some of you will recall from previous posts that this blog shares a start date with Dinosaur Comics, which you should all be reading. (The recent strip about the standard kilogram was brilliant.)

Also, happy birthday to commenter JSpur!

Despite not posting here, I continue to post one photo per day over at my Flickr page; the Project 365 set now contains a month's worth of photos, and I've geotagged them all so you can look at a map of where they were taken. (Right now the map is fairly uninteresting except perhaps zoomed in on Berkeley.)

Tags: Photos, Website
Comments

Hmmmm... this sort of geoposting would give an interesting way to study correlations between geographical data and social networks (for an appropriate data set).

Posted by: Mason | February 1, 2007 2:35 PM

I feel honor i have help contribute to a large percentage of your Non Berkly campus photos

Posted by: shellock | February 1, 2007 3:24 PM

Happy birthday to you(r blog),
you live in a zoo(r blog).
You look like a monkey(r blog),
and you smell like one too(r blog).

I admit that didn't work as well as I'd hoped, but sometimes you just have to run with it(r blog).

Posted by: Lemming | February 1, 2007 6:34 PM

Lemming: Thank you for the best gut-splitting laugh I've had all week :-)

AG: I didn't know that about the kilogram; thanks for pointing it out. I'm working with a kid who is really fascinated with measurement at the moment and he'll be interested to know about that, too.

Posted by: lidarose | February 1, 2007 7:03 PM

All kids who are fascinated with measurement should be taught a little quantum mechanics. :)

Posted by: Mason | February 1, 2007 8:16 PM

Wow - I feel young. (I'm celebrating my 0.0833 years = 1 month blogiversary today.)

Posted by: Sujit | February 1, 2007 9:46 PM

Mason: I don't think this kid is quite ready for that yet -- I just got him through decimals and percents and we are starting algebra -- but I'll keep your suggestion in mind for future lessons. Of course, I would have to learn some quantum mechanics myself in order to teach it... :)

Posted by: lidarose | February 2, 2007 3:28 PM

Well, I was just picking up on the measurement idea.

And of course, I've never given college students projects for which they weren't ready. No misjudgements on my part, ever. (That said, I have an awesome team lined up for this summer---all of them will be future leaders in applied math and physics.)

Posted by: Mason | February 2, 2007 4:13 PM

Monkey? Zoo?

Thanks. I think.

It is in fact my karmic destiny to have a birthday that is overshadowed by the following day phenomenon of an entire nation's fixation on a large rodent's, er, shadow.

Posted by: JSpur | February 2, 2007 10:42 PM