February 14, 2007

Penne alla vodka for lazy evenings

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at February 14, 2007 4:50 PM

This is generating some interest on Flickr so I'm cross-posting this photo and the recipe I provided in the Flickr caption.

A streamlined recipe for quick and easy preparation (about 20 minutes total). Serves 1, but easily scaled up.

Ingredients:
1/4 lb penne pasta
14 oz can diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 1/3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp vodka
2 tbsp heavy cream
salt, pepper, red pepper flakes
chopped parsley and basil leaves
parmesan cheese

1. Boil water for the pasta. Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Drain the tomatoes.

2. Add the garlic to the pan and cook for about a minute. Add the vodka and allow about half to boil off, then add the tomatoes. Add salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste.

3. Start boiling the pasta. Allow the sauce to simmer while the pasta is cooking.

4. When the pasta is al dente, drain and add to pan. Add the cream and stir over high heat for about two minutes. Add the parsley and basil, and toss. Serve with grated parmesan.

Tags: Food, Photos
Comments

Thanks. I will try it tonight! :)

Posted by: Aggie | February 14, 2007 11:12 PM

The pasta was delicious. Thanks again! Although I think I put in too much chilli (I didn't have red pepper flakes) cause I've now got the hiccups :)

Posted by: Aggie | February 15, 2007 2:18 AM

I miss carbs

Posted by: Josh | February 15, 2007 12:49 PM

Josh, are you on a messed-up diet again?

Posted by: Mason | February 15, 2007 1:41 PM

Shoot, this being the family-friendly blog it is, I stopped myself from making the joke I wanted to.

You get off easy this time, Josh.

Posted by: Lemming | February 15, 2007 1:54 PM

Lemming: Do you want to make that joke on my blog? (It's not family friendly.)

Posted by: Mason | February 15, 2007 2:32 PM

Actually, I just got off the messed-up diet. Unfortunately, afterwards I have to adjust very slowly back to normal eating habits, so I've basically eaten vegan since Sunday, but without the fun of whole wheats. For a while I'm going to follow the Eat to Live diet as suggested by AG, but I will be making moderate allowances for delicious, delicious meat.

On the note of results, I've lost 30 pounds since this time last year.

Posted by: Josh | February 15, 2007 4:12 PM