March 14, 2007

Hime sighting in SF

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at March 14, 2007 2:32 PM

Via a NY Times article about Lombard Street in San Francisco, I learn of a new restaurant called Hime. I'll have to eat there after I get around to eating at the Chinese restaurant called Gazebo. Hime is a sushi place, so the name is presumably from the Japanese word for princess.

Tags: San Francisco
Comments

This is going to lead to numerous random and misguided hits to my website, I fear.

Posted by: JSpur | March 14, 2007 5:18 PM

But let's make the best of it. We'll have dinner there the next time I'm in the Bay Area and see if we get, like, a discount or something.

Posted by: JSpur | March 14, 2007 5:19 PM

Random website hits can be quite awesome. I'm still proud of my #3 google ranking for 'sarcastic words of wisdom' from many years ago.

Posted by: Mason | March 14, 2007 5:35 PM

I'd never before linked the terms. Now I have a mental picture of our friend AG as a pretty, pretty princess. Maybe it's just because it's 3am and I'm up raiding the fridge.

Posted by: Jenny | March 15, 2007 3:00 AM

Man, I had to take that from students in my Japanese class when they learned how my last name was spelled. I told them that if they went with Hime instead of Haimu, then they should at least have the respect to call me Hime-SAMA. :-P

I personally always saw myself as a badass warrior princess, like San in Mononoke Hime. But AG may in fact be a pretty, pretty princess. I suppose it depends on general consensus.

Posted by: Josh | March 15, 2007 9:26 AM

Come on, I know I'm not the only one who's been silently pronouncing it "he-may" in their head for years, right?

No offense AG, but sometimes sensibility just isn't worth it compared to years and years of silent chuckles.

Oh look, at least Josh is partially backing me up. Yay!

By the way, how do you check these legendary google stats? I s'pose I could look it up, but you know... work...

Oh: I want a picture of ya'll in front of the restraunt. It's now your mission, whether or not you choose to accept it. This message will not self-destruct in five seconds, out of respect to AG's webserver.

*sick joke skipped for sake of rest of post*

Posted by: Lemming | March 15, 2007 9:43 AM

We'll get that photo for you. Doubtless it will be posted in Project 365 once we've done so.

My website is regularly pinged, from all over the world, by people who are searching the one word "hime." They ping, and invariably move on without lingering.

Posted by: JSpur | March 15, 2007 10:39 AM

This is not the site you're looking for.

Posted by: Mason | March 15, 2007 1:09 PM

JSpur: I just added to that by searching for hime on google and then going to your site, then coming back here to post about it! :) Now i'm going to go back and see if there's a new book soon :)

Posted by: Zifnab | March 16, 2007 9:14 PM

After looking at the site, i'm surprised people don't stop and at least read a little as it's very clean and accessible. Oh well. So, how does one actually see this sort of site statistic, is it something in the web server software or are there hidden pages or sites that collect the data?

Posted by: Zifnab | March 16, 2007 9:24 PM

Mason: Can I go about my business?

JSpur: Is this a trip to NY you're offering? Because I have several friends I need to reune with.

Zif: I've been wondering that ever since AG posted his google search results, although they may be two totally different sets of data collecting.

AG: This has nothing to do with the current thread, but you need to update your entertainment section. Specifically, 300 for movies and The Shield for TV, if you haven't seen anything more recently. Also, I saw the new billboard for The Shield Season 6, and it looks AMAZING although you shouldn't look it up because it's a spoiler as well as a bulletin.

Posted by: Josh | March 17, 2007 1:56 AM

Zifnab- My webmaven has me signed up with something called "StatCounter" that gives me data on visits and page loads based on the location of the server which accesses the site. It also typically shows the referring link, so that if someone accesses me by searching Google for, say, "magnolia arkansas double homicide," I see that reference.

My agent is currently flogging the 9/11 book- THREE THOUSAND BRIDGES- referred to on my website and tells me he is confident he will sell it even though it is literary as opposed to a mystery novel and literary books are the hardest to sell, especially now that all acquiring editors are under strict orders to find and acquire the next DAVINCI CODE. From his lips, as the saying goes, to God's ears.

Josh, I had not meant to make a NY trip offer, express or implied, as the Hime restaurant in question is in SF, as I understand it.

Posted by: JSpur | March 17, 2007 5:19 AM

More generally, the browser reports the referring page to the server which can be configured to log this data. If you're not the server admin and don't have access to the logs, you can embed something on the page that will collect this data for you: JSpur mentioned StatCounter, there's also Google Analytics.

The Hime restaurant is indeed in SF, which is why the NY Times article is in the travel section.

As for the media section on the sidebar, in principle these update when I post a review. I haven't reviewed anything in about three months, but if I have the time/energy I may do a few big posts where I review a number of items.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | March 17, 2007 9:51 AM

That's what I get for commenting when I read the post two days ago.

More importantly, that's what you get when you don't update for a few days. :-P

Posted by: Josh | March 17, 2007 10:28 AM

Another counter/tracker (that I've been using since I was in grad school) is sitemeter. I use the free version, and the "professional" version has a bunch more features for those who are even more narcissistic.

Posted by: Mason | March 17, 2007 2:31 PM