June 20, 2007

LOLhack

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at June 20, 2007 11:46 PM

I really shouldn't have done this, but once I had the idea, I had to follow through.

Tags: Randomness
Comments

Could you explain the picture for those of us with minimal exposure to that?

Posted by: Mason | June 21, 2007 1:08 AM

NO NO NO!

Posted by: Narrenschiff | June 21, 2007 2:59 AM

Excellent!

Posted by: Kate Nepveu | June 21, 2007 3:49 AM

wow i have not played net hack in a good 7 years.

Posted by: shellock | June 21, 2007 7:40 AM

I'm guessing this is a weird cross between nethack and I Can Has Cheezburger...

Posted by: Chris L-S | June 21, 2007 7:43 AM

How long did you have to play to catch that screenie? Not terribly long, I expect, but I don't remember what makes the pet lethargic. Also -- I thought the gnomish mines were a little deeper than this (I see two branches down).

Also: this is ftw.

Mason: Nethack is a "rogue-like" game, a very old (originally) ascii-art based dungeon crawl. Most of the classes have a familiar -- in this case, AG is playing a Wizard, which gets a cat familiar. He did something (don't recall all of the mechanics) to make the cat unhappy (message in top-left), and finally the LOLCAT connection is complete.

And, in honor of my caveman...
CAN I HAS DED KOBOLD
NOM NOM NOM

Posted by: Lemming | June 21, 2007 10:38 AM

Yep, I'm invoking the LOLcat meme of a cat recoiling in horror with the caption DO NOT WANT. In nethack, pets can sense cursed items and "move only reluctantly" onto squares containing them. In this case, it was a cursed dagger that the cat recoiled from.

As it happens I've been playing a bunch of nethack lately ("someone" installed it on one of the lab servers and there's been a kind of intra-lab competition), and so I just had to wait for the right moment in the course of my normal play. I frequently use my pet for curse-detection (until I find an altar) and so the main problem was remembering to stop and take a screenshot when it happened.

(As for the Gnomish Mines, the entrance can appear as early as level 2 and as late as level 4.)

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | June 21, 2007 11:00 AM

I know what nethack is at some basic level. What I meant by minimal exposure was that I never played it. I did play some old mud once that Ben Williamson wanted to show me. He stole my belongings as a joke within 1 minute of playing and my interest lasted only a little longer than that. I think I should have tried it when I was younger and had fewer hobbies. That would have given me the chance to get into it.

Also, I wasn't getting the connection to the LOLcat meme at all, which is where my comment was really going as to what I should be looking for.

Posted by: Mason | June 21, 2007 2:54 PM

While we're on the subject of nethack, this is a new achievement for me:

You made the top ten list!

No Points Name Hp [max]
1 4659894 hime-Wiz-Hum-Mal-Neu ascended to demigod-hood. 296 [299]
2 277823 hime-Val-Hum-Fem-Neu died in The Dungeons of Doom on
level 27. Killed by a zruty. - [101]
3 232131 Shane-Wiz-Elf-Mal-Cha died in The Dungeons of Doom on
level 5 [max 16]. Killed by an invisible stalker,
while helpless. - [99]

I think Shane's about to join me in the demigod bar, too...

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | June 24, 2007 7:30 PM

AG, so you're blogging less because of nethack?

Posted by: Mason | June 24, 2007 11:38 PM

Mason: That's... actually pretty accurate.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | June 25, 2007 11:20 AM