June 3, 2007

Yippie Ki Yay

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at June 3, 2007 10:12 PM

Last night we watched the first two Die Hard movies to prepare for Live Free or Die Hard. Now I want to trim my beard to look like Alan Rickman's in the first one:

I had actually never seen Die Hard 2 despite owning the DVD (in a set with the other two, which I had seen). I had heard that it was the worst of the three, and that was my assessment upon seeing it—it doesn't hang together as well and has some laughably silly moments. (Die Hard with a Vengeance, a.k.a. Die Hard: The Stack has its share of silliness but pulls it off better.) Part of the problem, I'm convinced, is that they spend too much time trying to pay homage to the first movie, bringing back most of the surviving characters for some relatively pointless roles. Meanwhile, the third installment made a connection to the first film in the plot while ditching the entire cast (except of course for Bruce Willis) and bringing on Samuel L. Jackson and Jeremy Irons, a formula which was considerably more successful.

One thing I didn't know was that likely Republican presidential candidate Fred Thompson appears in Die Hard 2 in a standard Fred Thompson role. Likewise William Atherton appears in the first two movies in a standard William Atherton role.

Finally, I'm sure you've all seen this already but no Die Hard post would be complete without the music video:

Tags: Movies, Music Videos
Comments

I've never seen any of the Die Hard movies.

Posted by: Mason | June 4, 2007 12:26 AM

that music video is just awful

Posted by: shellock | June 4, 2007 7:55 AM

Mason: The original Die Hard is a classic action movie. The sequels are more optional (although I do like Die Hard with a Vengeance).

Shellock: You misspelled "awesome".

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | June 4, 2007 10:06 AM

I love the part in the first one where the Alan Rickman character talks about getting his suits the same place Arafat gets fitted. He's the first ever metro-sexual terrorist and he totally pulls it off.

Posted by: JSpur | June 4, 2007 10:14 AM

Wow, that video was simply amazing. The "yippie ki yay" part of the song almost brought on a dreaded work-lol.

Oops, sorry, I meant to say "amazing".

Posted by: Lemming | June 4, 2007 1:14 PM

No for one I spelt what i meant. Great movie awful music video...

also best movie quote from Die Hard:
"Now I have a machine gun. Ho ho ho."

Posted by: shellock | June 4, 2007 3:15 PM

Hmmm... in AG's line, I guess one would have to write "'"awesome"'" to get the whole double quotes thing going. Of course, that made me have to use triple quotes. :)

Given the comments, now I'm going to need to actually watch the music video...

Posted by: Mason | June 4, 2007 7:06 PM

Wow. You realize I'm WEARING that beard now. I've been calling it "The Nottingham" but "The Hans Gruber" might be more appropriate. Both are Rickman, but "The Alan Rickman" doesn't have such a ring to it.

Also, AWESOME video. Wherever did you find it? You should credit where you find such videos on your site so that we can praise people who introduce you to such great links.

Posted by: Josh | June 5, 2007 11:15 PM

I think "The Nottingham" is the winningest name.

Also, since there' no credit to the video, clearly AG filmed it all himself as a puppet show (you can totally see the strings and popsicle sticks!), playing a kazoo for the instrumentals and tricking out Dr. Sbaitso into singing the lyrics. Clearly.

Posted by: Lemming | June 6, 2007 7:51 AM