September 19, 2007

Avast! Ahoy! Yo ho! And so forth!

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at September 19, 2007 10:29 AM

YARR! It be Talk Like A Pirate Day! Traditionally (ok, just last year), I announce the Pirate Song of the Year today, but I can't think of any sufficiently piratical songs that have come out this year. However, we are taking nominations in the comments.

Instead, we open a new category: The Pirate Film of the Year.

Gore Verbinski, present yerself at the foredeck!

For the achievement of Pirate Film So Reportedly Lame I Didn't Bother Seeing It (of the Year), ye are rewarded with a one-way voyage to Davy Jones' Locker. Feed him to the sharks!

*splash*

And now, the Pirate Film of the Year: Stardust. An extra share of booty fer Neil Gaiman, Matthew Vaughn, and Robert De Niro! ARRR!

Elsewhere, Chris Bertram warns not to try talking like a pirate in Bristol, where they talk like this all the time.

Tags: Movies, Pirates, Randomness
Comments

We always knew you were a whoopsie!

Posted by: Josh | September 19, 2007 12:40 PM

It is absolutely true, a real Bristolian accent (mercifully rare) is heavy on the "arrrr"s.

Pirate filk, possibly even written this year:

Posted by: Wren | September 19, 2007 2:26 PM

Stardust certainly seems like th' logical pick fer sea dog film o' th' voyage (an', at least fer me, be a strong contender fer overall film o' th' voyage).

I already really wanted t' visit Bristol on accoun' o' the'r research squadron in me area be one o' th' best in th' world, but wi' this new information I be havin' an additional reason t' go. I really want t' hear th' accent in swabbie. (I know th' novelty will wear off, but 'tis still thar fer now.)

Also, let me steal a joke from Jay Leno: Be havin' ye erenoticed how th' sea dogs in films always seem t' win? Well, if ye want t' be seein' th' sea dogs lose, move t' Pittsburgh! [Granted, th' joke works better verbally on accoun' o' one dasn't be havin' t' worry about caps versus nay. `Tis also especially unfortunate at th' moment, as th' Sea dogs be currently playin' th' Padres.]

Posted by: Mason | September 19, 2007 7:03 PM

574rdu57 w45 ub3r 1337, d00dz!

(amidoinitrite?)

Posted by: Lemming | September 19, 2007 11:30 PM

Absolutely awesome film - we had a fantastic time watching it. Another movie we actually want to own.

Posted by: Chris L-S | September 20, 2007 9:28 PM