February 7, 2008

Mitt's parting shot

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at February 7, 2008 10:33 AM

I had a moment of sadness when I heard Mitt Romney was dropping out, until I was helpfully reminded that I actually dislike him, just less so than the other candidates:

Romney is speaking before CPAC right now, explaining why he's suspending his campaign, and according to advance excerpts given to the Associated Press, Romney will say:
"If I fight on in my campaign, all the way to the convention, I would forestall the launch of a national campaign and make it more likely that Senator Clinton or Obama would win. And in this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign, be a part of aiding a surrender to terror."

Classy! It's easy to get outrage fatigue with this crowd, but this kind of thing never fails to make me angry. Somehow Republicans keep getting away with labeling as "surrender" any counterterrorism approach that doesn't involve (a) knocking over random Middle Eastern countries, (b) torturing innocent people in secret prisons, and (c) massive illegal domestic surveillance programs.

On the other hand, Romney's attempt to spin his departure as a maneuver in the war on terror is actually pretty hilarious.

Tags: Politics, Republicans
Comments

My father inlaw can't stand Mitt. suposedly he did a serious amount of damage to the MA economy as governer and the only good thing he did was healthy care but he no longer stand for that. My biggest sadness with him leaving the race was i was truly enjoying republicans sniping at eachother. it was nice to see party roles reversed.

Posted by: shellock | February 7, 2008 11:19 AM

I'll add that one thing that did give me some sympathy for Romney was the strikingly high level of religious prejudice against his Mormonism. Not just with the evangelical base, but otherwise educated and tolerant Republicans as well. One otherwise sane person I know was talking about Romney the same way anti-Catholics talked about JFK in 1960.

Sure, Mormonism is a silly religion, but from my perspective the mainstream Christianity that all the other candidates subscribe to is pretty silly too (and then there's Huckabee). The fact is, people get told silly things as children that they never question, and if I held that against politicians I'd have nobody to vote for.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | February 7, 2008 11:33 AM

Now he's available for that job in the next Administration that Obama promised on Letterman- Mitt Romney for "Secretary of Lookin' Good!"

Posted by: JSpur | February 7, 2008 11:38 AM

I wanted to honor Mitt by posting the South Park episode "All About Mormons", but I couldn't find a free video of it online.

Posted by: Josh | February 7, 2008 12:57 PM

Posted by: Justin | February 7, 2008 4:49 PM

While the rhetoric of Romney is laying it on a bit thick, there is one key aspect of what he is saying there that I agree with - we cannot afford to pull precipitously out of Iraq, and I think there is a real chance that would happen if a Democrat were elected.

This is not to say I'm a fan of what is happening in Iraq, nor am I a fan of what the Pentagon has been doing recently, either. This NPR story about the most current Pentagon budget is just appalling - the amount of waste and government pork-barrel spending going on there is absolutely criminal. But as the people who went in and broke Iraq in the first place, we have an obligation (and an incentive) to stay there until the Iraqi government can take care of itself.

Posted by: Chris L-S | February 7, 2008 9:18 PM

Chris: I don't find this argument convincing simply because our presence in Iraq doesn't seem to be improving the situation at all. The Iraqi government hasn't become any more stable in the past few years, and the backing of U.S. troops only deprives it of legitimacy--it's a government which has no true sovereignty, and ultimately answers to Washington. Furthermore, our presence only fuels the violence in the country, as well as undermining the broader war on terror by intensifying anti-U.S. sentiment, both in Iraq and in the Middle East in general.

I agree that if there's anything the U.S. can do to improve the situation in Iraq, we should do it. But as far as I can tell, our presence there only makes it worse, and the best thing we can do is leave.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | February 7, 2008 10:48 PM