August 21, 2008

Critical fumble

Posted by Arcane Gazebo at August 21, 2008 4:24 PM

Forget archery, here's something to really get outraged about: the total ineptitude of the U.S. 4x100m relay teams. Now admittedly, Olympic sprinters must perform a much faster handoff than I did when I ran on my high school's 4x800m team. Even so, passing the baton just isn't that hard. For one of our Olympic teams to fumble it is astonishing; for two of them to do it is just embarrassing.

How did this happen? Are they taking some form of steroids that makes their hands slippery as a side effect? Was the baton sabotaged with grease by a rival team? Did they just not practice the handoff, ever?

I bet they'll be practicing it for 2012. In the meantime, maybe they can get a sponsorship deal with Butterfinger bars.

Tags: Sports
Comments

I love the look on the face of the guy in the front.

Posted by: Mason Porter | August 21, 2008 7:43 PM

My bet on the "How did this happen?" question is the reason behind many simple mistakes, especially in baseball and other sports - they were thinking too far in the future and not concentrating on the needs of the moment. Sometimes if you let your mind go into predictive mode (e.g., which base do I throw to, where are the runners?) you lose focus on the 'simple' task you need to complete first and mistakes happen.

That said, it really bugs me that both relay teams failed a handoff, as even if it was this type of mistake that's no real excuse.

Posted by: Zifnab | August 22, 2008 2:33 PM

My first thought was that it properly represented our inability to work as a team. From the picture it looks like we're winning on the individual running part, but when it comes to teamwork we blew it. (Tries to remove the scene from "The Untouchables" from mind).

Posted by: Mylanda | August 23, 2008 10:56 PM

Zifnab: It's definitely true (in my experience) that when you're receiving the baton you're not thinking about the handoff but about the race you're about to run, so that definitely could have been a factor.

Mylanda: One of my coworkers said the same thing (about Britain's team who also dropped the baton): these guys are great individual sprinters but they never practice together as a team, which causes these kinds of problems in the relay.

Posted by: Arcane Gazebo | August 24, 2008 10:51 AM

"Remember... there is no "I" in Team America!"

"...Yes, there is."